Genomic Healthcare Branch
The Genomic Healthcare Branch (GHB) of the Division of Policy, Communications, and Education at the National Human Genome Research Institute was created to promote the effective integration of genomic discoveries into healthcare. The GHB works closely with other parts of the NHGRI, especially with other the other division branches, to accomplish its work.
The mission of the Genomics Healthcare Branch is to promote the effective integration of genomic discoveries into healthcare by:
- informing research needs in application and implementation research at the NHGRI and beyond.
- promoting the development and evaluation of tools that enable healthcare providers to take more effective advantage of advances in genomics.
- promoting genetics literacy among the full spectrum of healthcare providers and their patients.
- serving as a liaison between the healthcare community and the NHGRI, and encouraging dialogue with healthcare providers and organizations with an interest in the role of emerging genomic technologies in reshaping healthcare.
Research and Publications
- East, K., Chung, W., Foreman, K., Gilmore, M., Gornick, M., Hindorff, L., Kauffman, T., Messersmith, D., Prows, C., Stoffel, E., Yu, J., and Plon, S. Guide to Interpreting Genomic Reports: A Genomics Toolkit, Practitioner Education Working Group of the Clinical Sequencing Exploratory Research (CSER) Consortium, 2017.
- Messersmith, D and Wildin, B. Genomics Education Initiatives of the Genomic Healthcare Branch, NHGRI, University of Florida, Precision Medicine Conference, 2017.
- Goldgar C, Michaud E, Park N, Jenkins J. Physician Assistant Genomic Competencies. J Physician Assist Educ. 2016
- Weitzel K, Edelman E, Roberts R, Korf B, Murray M, Messersmith D, Jenkins J. ISCC Education Products Working Group. Development of a competency-based genomic education resource for physicians. American Society of Human Genetics, 2015. [Poster: Development of a competency-based genomic education resource for physicians ]
- Jenkins J, Calzone KA, Caskey S, Culp S, Weiner M, Badzek L. Methods of genomic competency integration in practice. J Nurs Scholarsh, 2015. [PubMed]
- Jenkins, J., Calzone, K. Genomics nursing faculty champion initiative. Nurse Educator, 39(1): 8-13. 2014. [PubMed]
- Calzone, K., Jenkins, J., Culp, S., Caskey, S., & Badzek, L. Introducing a New Competency into Nursing Practice. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 5(1), 40-47. 2014. [PubMed]
- Calzone, K., Jenkins, J., et al. Relevance of Genetics and Genomics to Healthcare and Nursing Practice. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45(1):1-2. 2013. [PubMed]
Health Policy Analyst
Donna Messersmith, Ph.D.
Scientific Program Analyst
Ashley Lewis, M.P.H.
National Human Genome Research Institute
National Institutes of Health
31 Center Drive
Building 31, Room 4B09
Bethesda, MD 20892
Phone: (301) 402-7229
Fax: (301) 480-3066
Top of page
Last Updated: March 16, 2018