The National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), the driving force for advancing genomics research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), is looking to hire a full-time, contract science writer.
NHGRI seeks a writer who is scientifically knowledgeable, independently driven, detail-oriented and enthusiastic about all things genomics. Our ideal candidate has extensive experience writing about highly complex topics to make them easily understood by a general audience in a variety of formats, including press releases, web stories, social media content, fact sheets, infographics and other digital products. The person will work within a highly collaborative and fun team who strives to make genomics interesting, engaging and accessible.
The writer will work remotely until the NIH workforce returns to the physical workspace in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Develop written products that articulate, interpret and explain complex NIH policies, programs and research findings.
- Gather, develop and check the accuracy of information through research and interviews with subject-matter experts, program officials and policymakers, as needed.
- Write content for digital and print materials, including news articles, press releases, web stories, social media content, newsletters, presentations, fact sheets, infographics, video scripts and other products to communicate the Institute’s activities and topics in genomics.
- Work independently and in collaboration with scientific and technical experts to generate and research original ideas for digital and print products.
- Work with editorial and public affairs teams to select photos and develop graphics used in combination with written materials, infographics and related products.
- Ensure proper clearances through NHGRI, NIH and the Department of Health and Human Services, in accordance with established guidelines.
- Explore new collaborative relationships and strategies to effectively communicate NIH research and program advances.
- Assist with outreach efforts for interesting topics and help maintain the collaborative editorial calendar.
- Be a team player!
- Must love genomics. (If you do not already love genomics, are you willing to love genomics?)
- In-depth knowledge and experience writing about scientific research, technology and/or public health topics.
- Experience writing for different audiences, including scientists, health professionals and the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to write scientifically accurate copy in plain language while adhering to Associated Press style.
- Ability to write about potentially sensitive topics with judgment and skill, and can successfully navigate the content clearance process in the same way.
- Naturally inquisitive and a self-starter. Finds the stories instead of waiting to be assigned the stories.
- Works collaboratively with team members using online project management software, such as Trello and Microsoft Teams.
- Capable of managing multiple ongoing projects and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Must love, or be willing to love, genomics (Worth repeating!)
Last updated: November 3, 2021