For Minority and Special Populations
The National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) recognizes the importance of including minorities in genetic disease research. NHGRI has several examples of ongoing research collaborations that focus on training minority scientists and on understanding the genetic basis of diseases that disproportionately affect minorities. Opportunities exist to establish new research collaborations to build on the successes of this effort.
In addition to the direct scientific benefits these collaborations will offer, they also will contribute to NHGRI's goal of increasing the number of underrepresented minorities participating in genomic and Ethical, Legal and Social Implications (ELSI) research.
NHGRI research studies and collaborations focused on diseases and conditions affecting minority populations
- Africa-America Type-2 Diabetes Study
Collaborative study with Howard University to study the genetics of Type II diabetes in three locations in Africa.
- National Cooperative Study of Hereditary Prostate Cancer in African Americans
Collaborative study with Howard University to investigate the genes involved in hereditary prostate cancer in African-American men.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Collaboration between researchers at NHGRI and the University of Antioquia, Colombia, South America to study ADHD among Hispanic children.
Meetings and Reports
- NHGRI/NIH Health Disparities Strategic Plan, FY 2004 - 2008
- Executive Summary: Workshop on Characterizing Human Genetic Variation
A workshop of scientists convened to discuss a number of issues associated with the idea of resequencing the human genome of many additional people for the purpose of further characterizing human genetic variation. Held in Washington, D.C. August 3-4, 2004
- The Human Genome Project Conference: The Challenges and Impact of Human Genome Research for Minority Communities
NHGRI-sponsored conference to discuss the effect of genomic research on minority communities held in Washington, D.C., November 9-11, 2001.
- NHGRI Strategic Plan for Reducing Health Disparities (November 2001)
- NHGRI Action Plan to Increase the Number of Underrepresented Minorities Participating in Genomics and ELSI Research (April 2001)
Africa-America Type 2 Diabetes and the ADHD University of Antioquia:
Hereditary Prostate Cancer in African Americans:
Last Reviewed: February 27, 2012