Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Consortium
Genome-wide association studies have identified many genetic variants related to disease and have highlighted the need to further explore initial findings in non-European populations. The Population Architecture using Genomics and Epidemiology (PAGE) Consortium (RFA HG-07-014 and RFA HG-07-015) was formed in July 2008.
PAGE aims to examine putative causal genetic variants across approximately 100,000 African Americans, Asian Americans, American Indians, European Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Hawaiians from 4 groups representing 9 large U.S.-based cohorts. By coordinating genotyping and phenotype harmonization across groups, PAGE is defining the epidemiological architecture of cross-population allele frequencies, relative risks, and distribution of phenotypes associated with particular variants and their environmental modifiers.
- Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities (ARIC)
- Coronary Artery Risk In Young Adults (CARDIA)
- Cardiovascular Health Study (CHS)
- Hispanic Community Health Study
- Strong Heart Cohort Study
- Strong Heart Family Study
Genetics Epidemiology of Causal Variants Across the Life Course (CALiCo Consortium)
Principal Investigator (PI): Kari North, Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Epidemiologic Architecture of Genes Linked to Environment (EAGLE)
Principal Investigator (PI): Dana Crawford, Ph.D., Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn.
Multiethnic Cohort (MEC)
Principal Investigator (PI): Loic Le Marchand, M.D., Ph.D., University of Hawaii Cancer Research Center, Honolulu
Women's Health Initiative (WHI)
Principal Investigator (PI): Charles Kooperberg, Ph.D., Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Wash.
Coordinating CenterPrincipal Investigator (PI): Tara C. Matise, Ph.D., Department of Genetics, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
- The Steering Committee is the governing body for the consortium and is composed of the Principal Investigators from each institution and the NIH Project Scientist.
- The External Scientific Panel provides input to the NHGRI Director about the progress and direction of the Network.
Chair: Jonathan Haines, Ph.D., Vanderbilt University
- Mercedes Carnethon, Ph.D., Northwestern University
- Deborah Nickerson, Ph.D., University of Washington
- Christopher O'Donnell, M.D., National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Harvard Medical School
- Gloria Petersen, Ph.D., Mayo Clinic
- PAGE Working Groups address issues related to phenotype harmonization (Diabetes/obesity, CVD, Cancer, Inflammation/autoimmunity, Exposures), SNP Selection and Quality Control, Ethnicity and Ancestry, Data Display and Dissemination and the Metabochip pilot.
- PAGE Standing Committees coordinate activities related to Statistical Analysis and Publications/Presentations.
- PAGE Project Groups perform cross-study analyses and write manuscripts. Current Project Groups are focused on cancer, cardiovascular disease, lipids, obesity, type 2 diabetes, menopause/menarche, the Metabochip and phenotype-wide association study (PheWAS).
Chair: Julie Buring, Sc.D., Harvard University
Study Design, Participant and Genotyping Characteristics of PAGE Cohorts
|Cohort||Type of Study||Focus of Cohort||Years Collected||Length of Follow-Up||Mean Age Description||Age Range||% Women||Genotyping Platforms|
|N/A||35||12-95||54||Applied Biosystems TaqMan, OpenArrays TaqMan, Sequenom iPlex, Illumina BeadXpress|
|MEC||Nested Case Control||Cancer||1993-1998||17 years||60||45-78||55||Applied Biosystems TaqMan, OpenArrays TaqMan|
|WHI||Cohort and Clinical Trials||Women's Health||1993-1998||17 years||63||50-79||100||Illumina BeadXpress|
|CALiCo-ARIC||Longitudinal||Cardiovascular Disease||1987-2007||20 years||54||45-64||55.1||Applied Biosystems TaqMan|
|CALiCo-CARDIA||Longitudinal||Cardiovascular Disease||1986-2006||25 years||25||18-30||54.4||Applied Biosystems TaqMan|
|CALiCo-CHS||Longitudinal||Cardiovascular Disease||1988-1999||18 years||73||65-100||57.6||Applied Biosystems TaqMan|
|CALiCo-SHS||Longitudinal||Cardiovascular Disease||1988-Present||22 years||40||14-91||59.3||Applied Biosystems TaqMan|
|CALiCo-HCHS-SOL||Longitudinal||Cardiovascular Disease||2008-Present||2 years||55||18-72||65||Applied Biosystems TaqMan|
Steering Committee Meeting Minutes
PAGE Steering Committee Public Documents [pagestudy.org]
Last Updated: June 18, 2012