NHGRI Genomics and Society Working Group
The NHGRI Genomics and Society Working Group was established in 2012 as a working group of the National Advisory Council for Human Genome Research. The mission of the Genomics and Society Working Group is to provide to the NACHGR advice on short- and long-range planning and priority setting for Genomics and Society activities at the Institute, with particular emphasis on the ELSI Research Program in the Division of Genomics and Society.
The Genomics and Society Working Group:
- Provides input about the ELSI Research Program, including input about its relative research priorities, the appropriate balance between investigator-initiated and program-initiated research, and the best use of limited budgetary and staff resources.
- Provides input about the activities of the Division of Genomics and Society in light of changes in genomics, genomic medicine, and the policy landscape, aiming to identify emerging issues or gaps.
- Identifies areas of potential synergy or collaboration among the different Genomics and Society research and policy components of NHGRI (noting that formal oversight of the Intramural Research Program components is provided by the NHGRI Board of Scientific Counselors).
- Identifies areas of potential synergy or collaboration between NHGRI and other NIH Institutes and national and international organizations.
- Identifies Genomics and Society issues and activities that are more appropriately addressed by other NIH Institutes or other agencies or organizations.
Working Group Members
Chair: Pamela Sankar, Ph.D. (University of Pennsylvania)
Timothy Caulfield, L.L.B., L.L.M. (University of Alberta)
Wendy Chung, M.D., Ph.D. (Columbia University)
Jeffrey Long, Ph.D. (University of New Mexico)
Gary Marchant, Ph.D., J.D. (Arizona State University)
Amy McGuire, J.D., Ph.D. (Baylor College of Medicine)
Lisa Parker, Ph.D. (University of Pittsburgh)
Andrea Patenaude, Ph.D. (Dana-Farber Cancer Institute)
David Williams, M.Div., M.P.H., Ph.D. (Harvard University)
Last Updated: May 15, 2013