Last updated: January 18, 2018
Online Bioethics Resources
National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI)
- Ethical, Legal and Social Implications Program
- Ethical, Legal and Social Implications Program Reports
- Social and Behavioral Research Branch
- Issues in Genetics
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Department of Bioethics [bioethics.nih.gov]
- Bioethics Consultation Service [bioethics.nih.gov]
- Bioethics Information and Resources [fic.nih.gov]
- Office of Human Subjects Research [ohsr.od.nih.gov]
- Bioethics Information Resources [nlm.nih.gov]
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Human Genome Project (Archived)
- Ethical, Legal and Social Issues [ornl.gov]
- Genetics, Privacy and Legislation [ornl.gov]
- Minorities, Race and Genomics [ornl.gov]
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues Research [ornl.gov]
Links to articles on bioethics and genetics.
- The Council for Responsible Genetics
Information on the social, ethical and environmental implications of genetic technologies.
- DNA Patent Database
Searchable database of U.S. DNA-based patents issued by the USPTO.
- Ethics in Medicine
An electronic resource at the University of Washington School of Medicine.
- The Ethics of Synthetic Biology and Emerging Technologies
A report to the Presidential Commission on the Study for Bioethical Issues on synthetic biology with an accompanying press release and FAQ.
- Georgetown University: National Information Resource on Ethics & Human Genetics.
Search engine for literature on specific issues.
- Georgetown University Scope Note Series (Archived)
Information on various aspects of genetics and ethics.
- The Hastings Center
The Hastings Center is an independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit bioethics research institute founded in 1969. The Center's mission is to address fundamental ethical issues in the areas of health, medicine, and the environment as they affect individuals, communities, and societies.
- HumGen International - Database
Access to a comprehensive international database on the legal, social and ethical aspects of human genetics.
- The Presidential Commission for the Study of Bioethical Issues (Archived)
This advisory panel of bioethics thought leaders was established in 2009 and ended in 2017. Its purpose was to advise the U.S. President on emerging bioethical issues.
- Your Genes Your Choices
Describes the Human Genome Project, the science behind it, and the ethical, legal, and social issues that are raised by the project.