Last updated: June 04, 2012
The National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) and the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) have supported a rat genome sequencing project to produce 7X draft coverage of the rat genome in a mixture of whole genome shotgun and Bacterial Artificial Chromosome (BAC)-based sequence. The resulting genome sequence was assembled in March, 2004 (to see NIH press release, please click here).
The Rat Genome Sequencing Network is led by the Baylor College of Medicine Genome Sequencing Center and is a collaboration with Celera Genomics, Genome Therapeutics, The Institute for Genome Research and The University of British Columbia.
Genome Sequencing Whitepaper Proposals:
- Rattus norvegicus
Rat SNPs / SNP Discovery
(Submitted Oct. 2004)
- Rattus norvegicus
(Submitted Sept. 2005)
- Baylor College of Medicine Genome Sequencing Center [hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu]
- The Gene Index Project [compbio.dfci.harvard.edu]
- NHLBI [nhlbi.nih.gov]
The Trans-NIH Rat Program [nih.gov] is an excellent source of additional information of a wide range of genomic and genetic resources related to the laboratory rat.
Sequence and Assembly
Model Organism Database
- Rat Genome Database [rgd.mcw.edu] at the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Genome Sciences Centre [bcgsc.ca] at the British Columbia Cancer Agency
BAC End Sequencing
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute (DCFI) [compbio.dfci.harvard.edu]*
* TGI databases have moved at DFCI and are no longer available at TIGR/JCVI.
- dbEST [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - Database of ESTs at NCBI
- Mammalian Gene Collection [mgc.nci.nih.gov]
- dbSNP [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - Database of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms at NCBI
- Childrens Hospital Oakland Research Institute (CHORI) - Rat BAC libraries
- RPCI-31: Brown Norway Rat (F) PAC Library [bacpac.chori.org]
- RPCI-32: Brown Norway Rat (M) BAC Library [bacpac.chori.org]
- CHORI-230: Brown Norway Rat BN/SsNHsd/MCW (F) BAC Library [bacpac.chori.org]
- Rat (Multiple Strains) BAC Library Proposal