NHGRI logo

Frequently Asked Questions About NHGRI Research

What is the difference between intramural and extramural research?

Intramural NIH research is done by scientists employed by the Federal government. Most of them work on the NIH campus in Bethesda, Maryland. Extramural NIH research is done across the United States and in some foreign countries by investigators who have been awarded grants through the NIH grant program.

How can I arrange to interview someone currently working at NHGRI?

The Communications and Public Liaison Branch (CPLB) at NHGRI is the first source for the latest news and background information about NHGRI, the Human Genome Project (HGP) and NHGRI research. The staff handles media requests, inquiries from the scientific community and questions from the general public. News releases, reports, fact sheets, exhibits and videos highlighting NHGRI programs and policies, are also available. To contact the CPLB call (301) 402-0911 or e-mail: kiara.palmer@nih.gov.

Where can I find information about the NHGRI budget?

NHGRI budget and financial information can be found at the Budget and Financial Information FAQ

Where can I find contact information on NHGRI scientists and staff?

Contact information for all NHGRI Division of Intramural Research (DIR) investigators is listed on and can be found at the top of each of their separate Web pages. Each DIR investigator is listed on the NHGRI Research Investigators page. Contact information for scientists in the Extramural Research Program can be found at the bottom of specific program pages (example: Genetic Variation Program). Any staff member's contact information can also be found by searching in the Search Staff Directory box at the bottom of the About NHGRI main page.

Where can I find slide presentations or webcasts of NHGRI research presentations?

There are currently no slide presentations on genome.gov. Webcasts can be found on the main Newsroom page at  GenomeTV. NIH webcasts are also listed on the main NIH videocast Web site at NIH Videocasting [videocast.nih.gov].

Where do I find publications by NHGRI researchers?

Publications for all NHGRI DIR Researchers are listed with the contact information under Selected Publications on their individual Web pages. Each citation on the Selected Publication page links to the specific PubMed listing on the National Center for BioTechnology (NCBI) and the National Library of Medicine (NLM) PubMed page [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]. Publications can also be searched on the PubMed site by author, title or journal.

Where do I find information about research training opportunities at NHGRI?

Research Training Opportunities can be found at: Careers & Training or through the DIR Intramural Training Office

Whom do I contact about collaborating on NHGRI research projects?

Contact the Office of the Scientific Director for the Division of Intramural Research, for on-campus research. Contact the Extramural Research Program for collaborative research conducted across the nation and throughout the world.

Last updated: October 23, 2015