Last updated: June 12, 2014
The NHGRI Genome Sequencing Program (GSP)
Data Access and Release PoliciesCurrent policies are indicated by the latest date. Earlier policies are included for reference.
NIH Policies Related to Genomic Data
- Current NIH Genomic Data Sharing Policy (2013)
- Notice on Development of Data Sharing Policy for Sequence and Related Genomic Data (2009) [grants.nih.gov]
- Policy for Sharing of Data Obtained in NIH Supported or Conducted Genome-Wide Association Studies (GWAS) (2008) [grants.nih.gov]
- Access to Data From Human Medical Sequencing Studies (2014)
All NHGRI-funded human sequencing data (with rare, specific exceptions) are consented for sharing, and are deposited in, and available from, the TCGA data portal or dbGaP). These data are available to all scientists, but permission must be obtained to ensure that the data are used in a manner compatible with the consents.
- NHGRI Rapid Data Release Policy
Policy on rapid release of data from large-scale sequencing projects. (February 2003)
- Data Release and Access Principles and Policy (2000)
- Update of NHGRI Policy for Release and Database Deposition of Sequence Data (December 2000)
- NIH-DOE Guidelines for Access to Mapping and Sequencing Data and Material Resources
For additional information regarding data release for large-scale sequencing of model organism genomes, see: Guyer, M., Statement on the Rapid Release of Genomic DNA Sequence [genome.org]. Genome Research, 8(5): 413. May 1998.