Last updated: February 27, 2012
A careful family health history may provide insight into the risk of inheriting specific diseases, shared environmental factors, and individual health concerns. The U.S. Surgeon General has made available a computerized tool to help make it easy for anyone to create a portrait of their family's health. Healthcare providers can provide this tool to patients and families to encourage them to gather and record their family health history.
- Family History Tool: My Family Health Portrait [familyhistory.hhs.gov]
- The U.S. Surgeon General's Family History Initiative
- Guidelines and Tools to Assess Family History of Common Diseases
- Centers for Disease Control Family History Resources and Tools [cdc.gov]
- Watch Family History Initiative: A Window on Your Patients' Health
Last Reviewed: February 27, 2012