Inter-Society Coordinating Committee for Practitioner Education in Genomics Seventh In-Person Meeting
ISCC Meeting Attendees, February 1, 2018
February 1, 2018
8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern
Natcher Conference Center, NIH Main Campus, Bethesda, Md.
Main Conference: Room E1/E2
Breakout Rooms: A, B, C1 and C2
The Inter-Society Coordinating Committee (ISCC) held its seventh in-person meeting on February 1, 2018, in Bethesda, Maryland.
The goals of this meeting were to, provide useful information and active discussion, as well as an opportunity for member networking. To facilitate this goal, developed an ISCC Compendium , listing different activities and ideas of member organizations, available prior to and during the meeting.
In addition, Hannah Valantine, MD, FACC, Chief Officer of Scientific Workforce Diversity of NIH and Senior Investigator, NHLBI, discussed:
1) why diversity matters in the biomedical research workforce and the barriers underrepresented groups face when entering the workforce and 2) why it is important to consider race and ethnicity for genomic medicine to be successful.
Read more details in the meeting minutes.
The presenters' information and their slides are found in the agenda below along with an attendee list .
- 8:30 - Welcome, Introductions and Framing
Co-chairs: Teri Manolio, M.D., Ph.D., NHGRI, and Rich Haspel, M.D., Ph.D., Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- 8:45 a.m. - Welcome
Laura Lyman Rodriguez, Ph.D., Director, Division of Policy, Communications, and Education, NHGRI
- 9:00 a.m. - Keynote Speaker: "NIH Addresses the Science of Diversity: Looking Through a Genomic Lens"
Hannah Valantine, M.D., M.R.C.P., F.A.C.C., NIH Chief Officer for Scientific Workforce Diversity
- 10:00 a.m. - Break
- 10:10 a.m. - Discussion on Practice Gaps
Steve Singer, Ph.D., Vice President of Education and Outreach, Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- 10:50 a.m. - Discussion of ISCC and The Genomic Literacy, Education, and Engagement (GLEE) Initiative Healthcare Provider Working Group
Kathleen Blazer, Co-Chair, Director, Cancer Genetics Education Program, Division of Clinical Cancer Genomics, City of Hope
- 11:10 a.m. - Discussion of the Suggestions for ISCC Webpage
(A representative from The Communications and Public Liaison Branch (CPLB) at NHGRI will be present to answer questions on what might be possible).
- 11:30 a.m. - Lunch and Networking
- 12:30 p.m. - Discussion on Marketing and Dissemination of Genomic Education Resources
Emily Edelman, M.S., C.G.C., Associate Director, Clinical & Continuing Education, The Jackson Laboratory
- 1:10 p.m. - Project Updates:
The Global Genetics and Genomics Community (G3C) Final Report:
Kathleen Calzone, Ph.D., R.N., A.P.N.G., F.A.A.N., National Cancer Institute
Pharmacogenomics Universal Exercise
Kristin Weitzel, Pharm.D., F.A.Ph.A., Clinical Professor, Associate Director, University of Florida Health Personalized Medicine Program
- 2:00 p.m. - Break
- 2:10 p.m. - Project Ideas:
Shoumita Dasgupta, Ph.D., Associate Professor Department of Medicine, Biomedical Genetics Section, Assistant Dean of Admissions, Boston University
NHGRI Short Course in Genomics for Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
Donna Messersmith, Ph.D., NHGRI
- 3:00 p.m. - Discussion of Compendium/Other Project Ideas/Wrap-up
- 3:30 p.m. - Meeting Adjourn
Last Updated: March 7, 2018