Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19, or SARS-CoV-2) is a serious public health problem, and genetics may play a role in how serious the illness becomes in certain people. Genes are the instructions that our body uses to grow and develop. Variations in our genes can cause medical conditions and may be the reason why some people get sicker than others.
We appreciate your interest in the COVIDcode study. We are not accepting new participants at this time. For other COVID-19 related studies at the National Institutes of Health, visit: https://covid19.nih.gov/.
Si español es su idioma preferido, contáctenos a (240) 274-6777 o firstname.lastname@example.org.
This study aims to learn more about the genetic contributions to the severity of COVID-19. We hope to use this information to develop therapies that reduce the severity of COVID-19 symptoms in some people.
Who can join?
Anyone located in the United States who has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection may be eligible to join. We will use the clinical information and samples of people who test positive for our main analyses.
What is involved?
If you join this study, we will:
- Ask you to donate a blood or saliva sample for research use. We will use this to study your DNA.
- Work with you or your healthcare provider to fill out a survey about your personal health history and experience with your COVID-19 symptoms. This should take less than 30 minutes to complete.
- Contact you one time up to a year after your enrollment to complete a follow-up survey about your ongoing experience with COVID-19 symptoms.
We offer compensation of up to $70 for completing these study activities.
Privacy and confidentiality are very important to us. We know this is especially important for NIH employees and their families.
If you are an NIH employee (including contractors) or are related to an NIH employee, please refer to the For NIH Employees section below.
All information shared with us will be coded. We will not return individual results. After you fill out the survey and donate your blood or saliva sample, we will limit our continued contact with you to only obtain updates on your health.
We intend for this study to help other patients benefit from this research. If you are interested, please contact us at COVIDcode@nih.gov or (240) 274-6777. Participation is completely voluntary. Indicating interest in the study does not obligate you to participate, and you can withdraw at any time.
For more information:
COVIDcode Study Team
Phone: (240) 274-6777
For more information on other COVID-19 clinical trials:
For NIH Employees
NIH employees, contractors, special volunteers, trainees, and guest researchers may join in NIH studies if they wish to do so. You should not feel compelled or required to participate in this or any other NIH study. We will take special steps to ensure your privacy and confidentiality if you decide to take part in the study. These include:
- Training all study staff about the procedures we have in place to protect your confidentiality and privacy.
- Giving your sample and information a code number, tightly restricting access to the people who can link your code number with your personal information and using that code number instead of your personal information whenever possible.
Last updated: November 29, 2021