Short Course in Genomics
The NHGRI Short Course in Genomics offers science educators the opportunity to hear lectures and receive teaching resources from leading researchers, clinicians and staff. Topics include complex diseases, sequencing technologies, brain and behavior, bioinformatics, gene editing, the human microbiome and ethical issues in genomics research.
The Education and Community Involvement (ECIB) Branch within NHGRI is offering its annual NHGRI Short Course in Genomics from July 16-19, 2024.
Applications are now open and will close March 31, 2024.
Candidates will be asked to respond to the following questions in the online application (200 words max):
- How long have you been teaching?
- What subjects/courses are you currently teaching? If you are not teaching genetics/genomics courses now, will you in the future?
- How would attending the NHGRI Short Course in Genomics benefit you?
- How would your school or community benefit from your participation? Please include any qualitative descriptions and/or statistics about your school and/or student demographics; for example, % first generation college students, % free/reduced lunch, etc.
- How would you incorporate new information about genomics and genetics in your curriculum?
- Please describe any experience you have designing and implementing new curriculum or professional development experiences for other educators and/or disseminating educational resources through professional networks. If you have not yet had any of these experiences, how would you do this in the future?
- Please provide a short narrative biography.
Selected applicants will be notified in late April 2024.Submit Your Application
In this video, Belen Hurle, Ph.D., education outreach specialist in NHGRI's Education and Community Involvement Branch, illustrates how to assemble a paper-based CRISPR-Cas9 kit for a hands-on CRISPR technology demonstration. Model is adapted from Origami Organelles™ CRISPR 00-031, ©2017 Discovering DNA Ltd.
Microbiome Lesson Plans
The microbiome lesson plans - consisting of four modules - were inspired by lectures and resources on the microbiome offered at NHGRI's Short Course in Genomics.View Lesson Plans
The NHGRI Short Course in Genomics: energizing genetics and genomics education in classrooms through direct engagement between educators and scientists
Genomics in Medicine
September 15, 2020
Last updated: January 17, 2024