Strategic Planning Workshop: Genomics in Medicine & Health
The National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) is in the middle of a new round of strategic planning that will establish a ‘2020 vision for genomics’ and culminate in the publication of a new NHGRI strategic plan in October 2020. As with past strategic planning efforts, NHGRI is soliciting input from the broader research and public communities to help shape the 2020 strategic plan.
As part of this strategic planning effort, NHGRI is planning a workshop focused on Genomics in Medicine and Health (GMH) for September 26-27, 2019. Utilizing the feedback we have heard to date from the town halls, meeting sessions, and satellite meetings, we have drafted the following vision statement and themes as a starting point for the workshop.
View on YouTube
To integrate genomics into routine medical practice in a way that prevents disease and improves the health of all members of a diverse community by engaging patients, their families, and the entire healthcare team in genomic health care.
The workshop aims to explore what is needed to implement a vision to integrate genomics into routine medical practice in a way that prevents disease and improves the health of all members of a diverse community by engaging patients, their families, and the entire healthcare team in genomic health care. The themes below represent our understanding of hurdles between current practice and this vision.
- Create systems to integrate genomics into everyday clinical and public health practice.
What is needed to use genomic information in medicine and health?
- Develop processes for routine, high value clinical genomic evaluation.
How should the genomic test work to make it accurate, easy to use, and understandable?
- Build knowledgebases for predictive genomic medicine in diverse populations.
What do we need to know to tell any patient their risk of disease from genomic testing?
- Develop and evaluate genomic prevention and therapeutic strategies in diverse populations.
How do we show if using genomic information improves health?
- Ensure that genomic health information has maximum utility for all members of the public.
How do we make sure genomic information is available and useful for all?
- Train providers to integrate genomics into the clinical workflow.
What training is needed to use genomics for medicine and health?
Thursday, September 26, 2019
- 9:00 - 9:15 a.m. - Welcome and Introductions
Les Biesecker, Anastasia Wise
- 9:15 - 9:30 a.m. - Barriers and Opportunities
- 9:30 - 9:50 a.m. - NHGRI Strategic Planning 2020
- 9:50 - 10:30 a.m. State of the Science: Genomic Medicine
Heidi Rehm, Marc Williams
- 10:30 - 11:00 a.m. - Goals for the Workshop and Results
Les Biesecker, Anastasia Wise
- 11:00 - 11:15 a.m. - Break
- Theme 1: Create systems to integrate genomics into everyday clinical and public health practice
- 11:15 - 11:20 a.m. - Introduction to Theme 1
- 11:20 - 11:40 a.m. - TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
Casey Overby Taylor
- 11:40 a.m. - 12:20 p.m. - Discussion Theme 1
- 12:20 - 1:20 p.m. - Lunch
- Theme 2: Improve processes for routine, high-value clinical genomic testing
1:20 - 1:25 p.m. - Introduction to Theme 2
- 1:25 - 1:45 p.m. - TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
- 1:45 - 2:25 p.m. - Discussion Theme 2
Theme 3: Build knowledgebases for predictive genomic medicine
- 2:30 - 2:50 p.m. - TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
- 2:50 - 3:30 p.m. - Discussion Theme 3
- 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. - Break
Theme 4: Develop and evaluate genomic prevention and therapeutic strategies
- 3:45 - 3:50 p.m. - Introduction to Theme 4
- 3:50 - 4:10 p.m. TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
- 4:10 - 4:50 p.m. - Discussion Theme 4
Theme 5: Ensure that genomics has maximum utility for all members of the public
- 4:50 - 4:55 p.m. - Introduction to Theme 5
- 4:55 - 5:15 p.m. - TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
- 5:15 - 5:55 p.m. - Discussion Theme 5
- 5:55 – 6:00 p.m. - Logistics for Tomorrow
Friday, September 27, 2019
- Theme 6: Train healthcare providers to integrate genomics into the clinical workflow
9:00 - 9:05 a.m. - Introduction to Theme 6
- 9:05 a.m. - 9:25 a.m. TED-style Idea Talks (5 min each)
- 9:25 a.m. - 10:05 a.m. Discussion Theme 6
- Discussion of Other Ideas
- 10:05 - 10:10 a.m. - Anything We’ve Missed?
10:10 - 10:40 a.m. - Other Ideas Discussion
- 10:40 - 11:20 a.m. - Panel Discussion
- Interactive Discussion
- 11:20 - 11:30 a.m. - Introduction to Interactive
- 11:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m. Grab lunch and complete interactive questions
- 12:45 - 2:00 p.m. - Interactive Discussion
Jyoti Dayal, Anastasia Wise
- 2:00 - 2:15 p.m. - Revised Barriers and Opportunities
- 2:15 - 2:45 p.m. - Summary of Recommendations and Priorities
Anastasia Wise, Les Biesecker
- 2:45 - 3:00 p.m. - Closing Remarks
Last updated: January 31, 2020