Establishing a 2020 Vision for Genomics
Strategic Planning Process
In February 2018 the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) launched a strategic planning effort to establish a 2020 vision for genomics aimed at accelerating scientific and medical breakthroughs. During the development of the strategic vision, NHGRI identified paradigm-shifting areas of genomics that will expand the field into new frontiers and enable novel applications to human health and disease. To ensure the widespread relevance of our strategic vision, we collected input from the scientific, medical and diverse public communities through >50 events, including town halls, dedicated workshops, conference sessions and webinars. Visit the news and events list to learn more about the events we held and to access the event summaries.
Read the new NHGRI 2020 Strategic Vision.
Provided below is background information on NHGRI's current strategic planning process, such as frequently asked questions, news and past strategic plans for genomics.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- October 28, 2020: NIH's National Human Genome Research Institute publishes new vision for human genomics
- February 12, 2018: Developing a 2020 vision for genomics: NHGRI launches new round of strategic planning
Past NHGRI Strategic Plans
- 2011: Charting a course for genomic medicine from base pairs to bedside
- 2003: A Vision for the Future of Genomic Research
- 1998: New Goals for the U.S. Human Genome Project
- 1993: A New Five-Year Plan for the United States Human Genome Program
- 1990: Understanding Our Genetic Inheritance
Past Workshop Planning Reports
- December 4, 2002: Summary of Roundtable: Genetic Patenting
- November 20-22, 2002: Beyond the Beginning: The Future of Genomics II
- July 23-24, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Workshop on the Comprehensive Extraction of Biological Information from Genomic Sequence
- July 23, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Sequencing and Re-sequencing the Biome!
- July 11, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Non-Medical Applications of Genomics
- July 2, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Genetics and Worldviews Workshop
- June 10, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Education and Public Outreach
- April 25-26, 2002: Summary of Workshop: Proteomics Planning
- December 12-24, 2001: Beyond the Beginning: The Future of Genomics
- November 28, 2001: Summary of Grantees' Workshop on Strategies for Increasing the Number of Underrepresented Minorities Participating in Genomics and ELSI Research
National Institutes of Health Strategic Plan
Last updated: October 28, 2020