The NHGRI Genomics and Society Working Group
The NHGRI Genomics and Society Working Group was established in 2012 as a working group of the National Advisory Council for Human Genome Research. The mission of the Genomics and Society Working Group is to provide to the NACHGR advice on short- and long-range planning and priority setting for Genomics and Society activities at the Institute, with particular emphasis on the ELSI Research Program in the Division of Genomics and Society.
The Genomics and Society Working Group:
- Provides input about the ELSI Research Program, including input about its relative research priorities, the appropriate balance between investigator-initiated and program-initiated research, and the best use of limited budgetary and staff resources.
- Provides input about the activities of the Division of Genomics and Society in light of changes in genomics, genomic medicine, and the policy landscape, aiming to identify emerging issues or gaps.
- Identifies areas of potential synergy or collaboration among the different Genomics and Society research and policy components of NHGRI (noting that formal oversight of the Intramural Research Program components is provided by the NHGRI Board of Scientific Counselors).
- Identifies areas of potential synergy or collaboration between NHGRI and other NIH Institutes and national and international organizations.
- Identifies Genomics and Society issues and activities that are more appropriately addressed by other NIH Institutes or other agencies or organizations.
Working Group Members (Institution & Dates Served)
Chair: Lisa Parker, Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 2012-2017
Barbara Bernhardt, M.S., C.G.C., University of Pennsylvania, 2015-2018
Timothy Caulfield, L.L.B., L.L.M., University of Alberta, 2012-2015
Wendy Chung, M.D., Ph.D., Columbia University, 2012-2016
Chanita Hughes-Halbert, Ph.D., Medical University of South Carolina, 2015-2018
Jeffrey Long, Ph.D., University of New Mexico, 2012-2015
Gary Marchant, Ph.D., J.D., Arizona State University, 2012-2016
Amy McGuire, J.D., Ph.D., Baylor College of Medicine, 2012-2016
Andrea Patenaude, Ph.D., Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 2012-2015
Arti Rai, J.D., Duke University, 2014-2017
Pamela Sankar, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 2012-2016 (Chair: 2012-2015)
David Veenstra, Pharm. D, Ph.D., University of Washington, 2015-2018
David Williams, M.Div., M.P.H., Ph.D., Harvard University, 2012-2015
Last Updated: April 30, 2015