Genomic Medicine and Health Care
NHGRI's definition for genomic medicine:
"Genomic medicine is an emerging medical discipline that involves using genomic information about an individual as part of their clinical care (e.g. for diagnostic or therapeutic decision-making) and the health outcomes and policy implications of that clinical use."
The opportunity to use genomic information to improve health - genomic medicine - is a direct result of the Human Genome Project. NHGRI does this by supporting scientific research that helps us understand illness at the molecular level and by increasing our ability to apply that knowledge to keep people healthy and do more to help those who are ill. This is the essence of genomic medicine.
Using knowledge of a person's health risks and diagnosis to guide their healthcare is not new. But the use of genetic information for health care has been relatively uncommon. This is changing. A tidal wave of information and genomic testing opportunities are both expanding our options, affecting many more medical conditions, and raising new questions.
NHGRI's website provides many genomic medicine resources. Here are some places to start:
Learn More about Genomic Medicine
- What is Genomic Medicine?
- How do we get there?
- Examples of Genomic Medicine
- NHGRI's Genomic Medicine Activities
- NHGRI's Genomic Medicine Working Group of the Advisory Council
Genomic Medicine Resources for Healthcare Providers and Consumers
- Genomic Medicine for Patients and the Public
- Genomic Medicine for Health Care Providers
- The Genomics in Medicine Lecture Series
Ethics, Policy, and Discrimination Resources Related to Genomic Medicine
- Policy issues in Genomic Medicine
- Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues in Genomic Medicine
- Protections from Genetic Discrimination
- Genomics and Society Research Program
Information about Specific Genetic Disorders, Rare Disorders Research, and Genomic Medicine Research Activities
- Specific Genetic Disorders
- Genetics and Rare Diseases (GARD) Resource
- NHGRI's Division of Genomic Medicine (research)
- Undiagnosed Diseases Network
Last Updated: July 21, 2016